Skip to Main Content
Residential fuelwood assessment, state of Minnesota, 2007-2008 heating seasonAuthor(s): Mimi Barzen; Ronald Piva; Chun Yi Wy; Rich Dahlman
Source: Minnesota Department of Natural Resources. 49 p.
Publication Series: Book
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (879.29 KB)
DescriptionDuring the spring and summer of 2008, the cooperating partners conducted a survey to determine the volume of residential fuelwood burned during the 2007-2008 heating season. Similar surveys were conducted for the 1960, 1969-1970, 1979-1980, 1984-1985, 1988-1989, 1995-1996, and 2002-2003 heating seasons. These surveys are part of a long-term effort to monitor trends in use of the fuelwood by residential households in Minnesota. The objectives of this survey were to: 1) Estimate the total volume of fuelwood harvested and consumed in Minnesota during the 2007-2008 heating season. 2) Identify the suppliers of fuelwood (purchased, given free, or self-harvested). 3) Estimate the volume of fuelwood harvested from different land ownership (state, federal, county, forest industry, and private lands). 4) Estimate the volume of fuelwood from the following wood supply categories: live and/or dead trees, logging residue, land clearing, yard/boulevard trees, mill residues, lumber scraps, salvage of wood pallets, and commercial fuel products such as wood and paper pellets and manufactured fireplace logs. 5) Determine the geographic distribution of households burning fuelwood by type of usage (primary heating source, secondary heating source, and pleasure), type of wood, and type of wood burning facilities used. 6) Identify trends in residential fuelwood consumption over time. 7) Identify types of residential wood burning facilities 8) Identify changes in trends of burning fuelwood.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBarzen, Mimi; Piva, Ronald; Wy, Chun Yi; Dahlman, Rich. 2009. Residential fuelwood assessment, state of Minnesota, 2007-2008 heating season. Grand Rapids, MN: Minnesota Department of Natural Resources. 49 p.
- Residential fuelwood consumption and production in Michigan, 1992.
- Residential fuelwood consumption and production in Kansas, 1994.
- Residential fuelwood consumption and production in Indiana, 1996.
XML: View XML