Skip to Main Content
Volume growth of pine and hardwood in uneven-aged loblolly pine-upland hardwood mixturesAuthor(s): Robert M. Farrar; Paul A. Murphy; Daniel J. Leduc
Source: In: Waldrop, Thomas A., ed. Proceedings of pine-hardwood mixtures: a symposium on management and ecology of the type. Gen. Tech. Rep. SE-58. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southeastern Forest Experiment Station:173-180.
Publication Series: Paper (invited, offered, keynote)
Station: Southeastern Forest Experiment Station
PDF: View PDF (6.56 MB)
DescriptionResults are reported from an exploratory investigation of stand-level periodic volume growth of uneven-aged mixed loblolly pine (Pinus taeda L.)-upland hardwood stands on good sites in southeastern Arkansas. A restricted set of replicated observations was extracted from an extensive CFI database involving varying pine-hardwood mixtures to form an array of plots with different levels of pines and hardwoods. Analysis was conducted of the 5-year periodic annual increment of the pine, the hardwood, and the total (pine plus hardwood) in relation to the stand density of the pine and hardwood components. Results show that at low to moderate pine basal area levels, an added hardwood component increases total stand growth but decreases total growth at higher pine levels. There seems to be little or no economic justification for mixed stands based on these growth predictions and current stumpage prices. The implications of these results and other factors regarding mixed stand management are also discussed.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationFarrar, Robert M., Jr.; Murphy, Paul A.; Leduc, Daniel J. 1989. Volume growth of pine and hardwood in uneven-aged loblolly pine-upland hardwood mixtures. In: Waldrop, Thomas A., ed. Proceedings of pine-hardwood mixtures: a symposium on management and ecology of the type. Gen. Tech. Rep. SE-58. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southeastern Forest Experiment Station:173-180.
Keywordsloblolly pine, Pinus taeda, hardwood, uneven-aged silviculture, mixed stands, growth
- A comparison of loblolly pine growth and yield on pure pine and mixed pine-hardwood sites
- Influence of hardwood midstory and pine species on pine bole arthropods
- Developing contemporary and historical live tree biomass estimates for old pine-hardwood stands of the Midsouth, USA
XML: View XML