Skip to Main Content
Quantifying greenhouse gas sources and sinks in managed wetland systemsAuthor(s): Stephen M Ogle; Patrick Hunt; Carl Trettin
Publication Series: Technical Bulletin
Station: Southern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (822.45 KB)
DescriptionThis chapter provides methodologies and guidance for reporting greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions and sinks at the entity scale for managed wetland systems. More specifically, it focuses on methods for managed palustrine wetlands.1 Section 4.1 provides an overview of wetland systems and resulting GHG emissions, system boundaries and temporal scale, a summary of the selected methods/models, sources of data, and a roadmap for this chapter. Section 4.2 presents the various management practices that influence GHG emissions in wetland systems and land-use change to wetlands. Section 4.3 provides the estimation methods for biomass carbon in wetlands and for soil carbon, N20 and CH4 emissions and sinks. Finally, Section 4.4 includes a discussion of research gaps in wetland management.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationOgle, Stephen M; Hunt, Patrick; Trettin, Carl. 2014. Quantifying greenhouse gas sources and sinks in managed wetland systems. In: Pape, Eve, M.D.; Flugge, M.; Steele, R.; Man, D.; Riley-Gilbert, M.; Biggar, S. eds. Quantifying greenhouse gas fluxes in agriculture and forestry: methods for entity-scale inventory. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Agriculture. 4-3-4-23 p. Chapter 4.
- Chapter 6: quantifying greenhouse gas sources and sinks in managed forest systems
- Chapter 8: Uncertainty assessment for quantifying greenhouse gas sources and sinks
- Greenhouse gas emissions and removals from forest land and urban trees in the United States, 1990-2017
XML: View XML