Skip to Main Content
A blocking primer increases specificity in environmental DNA detection of bull trout (Salvelinus confluentus)Author(s): Taylor M. Wilcox; Michael K. Schwartz; Kevin S. McKelvey; Michael K. Young; Winsor H. Lowe
Source: Conservation Genetics Resources. 6: 283-284.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
View PDF (192.0 KB)
Related Research Highlights Detection and Range Delineation of Bull Trout Using Environmental DNA
DescriptionEnvironmental DNA (eDNA) is increasingly applied as a highly sensitive way to detect aquatic animals non-invasively. However, distinguishing closely related taxa can be particularly challenging. Previous studies of ancient DNA and genetic diet analysis have used blocking primers to enrich target template in the presence of abundant, non-target DNA. Here we apply a blocking primer to increase the specificity of a TaqMan assay for eDNA detection of rare and endangered bull trout (Salvelinus confluentus) in the presence of the closely related (Salvelinus namaycush). We found that addition of a blocking primer substantially increased assay specificity without compromising sensitivity or quantification ability.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWilcox, Taylor M.; Schwartz, Michael K.; McKelvey, Kevin S.; Young, Michael K.; Lowe, Winsor H. 2014. A blocking primer increases specificity in environmental DNA detection of bull trout (Salvelinus confluentus). Conservation Genetics Resources. 6: 283-284.
Keywordsenvironmental DNA, bull trout, blocking primer, complex templates
- An improved environmental DNA assay for bull trout (Salvelinus confluentus) based on the ribosomal internal transcribed spacer I
- Have brook trout (Salvelinus fontinalis) displaced bull trout (Salvelinus confluentus) along longitudinal gradients in central Idaho streams?
- Sampling large geographic areas for rare species using environmental DNA: A study of bull trout Salvelinus confluentus occupancy in western Montana
XML: View XML