Skip to Main Content
Contribution of ecosystem services to air quality and climate change mitigation policies: The case of urban forests in Barcelona, SpainAuthor(s): Francesc Baró; Lydia Chaparro; Erik Gómez-Baggethun; Johannes Langemeyer; David J. Nowak; Jaume Terradas
Source: AMBIO. 43(4): 466-479.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
View PDF (2.18 MB)
DescriptionMounting research highlights the contribution of ecosystem services provided by urban forests to quality of life in cities, yet these services are rarely explicitly considered in environmental policy targets. We quantify regulating services provided by urban forests and evaluate their contribution to comply with policy targets of air quality and climate change mitigation in the municipality of Barcelona, Spain. We apply the i-Tree Eco model to quantify in biophysical and monetary terms the ecosystem services "air purification," "global climate regulation," and the ecosystem disservice "air pollution" associated with biogenic emissions. Our results show that the contribution of urban forests regulating services to abate pollution is substantial in absolute terms, yet modest when compared to overall city levels of air pollution and GHG emissions. We conclude that in order to be effective, green infrastructure-based efforts to offset urban pollution at the municipal level have to be coordinated with territorial policies at broader spatial scales.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBaró, Francesc; Chaparro, Lydia; Gómez-Baggethun, Erik; Langemeyer, Johannes; Nowak, David J.; Terradas, Jaume. 2014. Contribution of ecosystem services to air quality and climate change mitigation policies: The case of urban forests in Barcelona, Spain. AMBIO. 43(4): 466-479.
KeywordsAir purification, Cities, Climate regulation, Urban ecosystem services, Urban forests, Policy targets
- Coupling biogeochemical cycles in urban environments: Ecosystemservices, green solutions, and misconceptions
- Remoción de contaminantes atmosféricos por el bosque urbano en el valle de Aburrá [Air pollution removal by the urban forest in the Aburra Valley]
- Assessing urban vacant land ecosystem services: Urban vacant land as green infrastructure in the City of Roanoke, Virginia
XML: View XML