Skip to Main Content
Moisture Performance of wood-plastic composites reinforced with extracted and delignified wood flourAuthor(s): Yao Chen; Nicole M. Stark; Mandla A. Tshabalala; Jianmin Gao; Yongming Fan
Source: In: the ANTEC 2014, The Plastics Conference, April 28-30, 2014 Rio All-Suite Holtel & Casino, Las Vegas, Nevada; SPE ANTEC 2014 pp. 2049-2053.
Publication Series: Full Proceedings
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
PDF: Download Publication (708.95 KB)
DescriptionThis study investigated the effect of using extracted and delignified wood flour on water sorption properties of wood–plastic composites. Wood flour (WF) extraction was performed with three solvent systems: toluene/ethanol (TE), acetone/water (AW), and hot water (HW); delignification was conducted using sodium chlorite/acetic acid solution. A 24 full-factorial experimental design was employed to determine the effects of treatments and combinations of treatments. WF/HDPE composites for testing were manufactured using extrusion and injection molding. Compared with composites containing untreated WF, composites produced with extracted WF had lower water absorption rates and composites containing delignified WF had higher water absorption rates.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationChen, Yao; Stark, Nicole M.; Tshabalala, Mandla A.; Gao, Jianmin; Fan, Yongming. 2014. Moisture Performance of wood-plastic composites reinforced with extracted and delignified wood flour. In: the ANTEC 2014, The Plastics Conference, April 28-30, 2014 Rio All-Suite Holtel & Casino, Las Vegas, Nevada; SPE ANTEC 2014 pp. 2049-2053.
Keywordswood-plastic composites, lignin, extractives, moisture performance, diffusion coefficient
- Properties of wood-plastic composites (WPCs) reinforced with extracted and delignified wood flour
- Weathering characteristics of wood plastic composites reinforced with extracted or delignified wood flour
- Color and surface chemistry changes of extracted wood flour after heating at 120 °C
XML: View XML