Skip to Main Content
Enzymatic hydrolysis, simultaneous saccharification and ethanol fermentation of oxalic acid pretreated giant reed (Arundo donax L.)Author(s): Danilo Scordia; Salvatore L. Cosentino; Thomas W. Jeffries
Source: Industrial Crops & Products, Volume 49, 2013; pp. 392-399.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
View PDF (907.15 KB)
DescriptionGiant reed was evaluated for enzymatic hydrolysis and simultaneous saccharification and fermentation(SSF) using a commercial cellulase/β-glucosidase and Scheffersomyces (Pichia) stipitis CBS 6054 for ethanolproduction following dilute-oxalic acid pretreatment. A response surface methodology with two inputparameters – severity factor (SF) and oxalic acid concentration (OA) – was employed to optimize bothenzymatic hydrolysis and SSF. Xylan content after dilute-OA pretreatment decreased with increasingSF and OA; almost complete hydrolysis was observed when the harsher pretreatment conditions wereused. Glucan and lignin content showed an opposite trend with respect to xylan content after dilute-OApretreatment. Accordingly, enzymatic hydrolysis and ethanol production reached 95% of glucan conver-sion and 18 g l−1(75.3% of the maximum theoretical ethanol yield), respectively, with the pretreatmentcondition 4.05 SF and 5% OA w/w.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationScordia, Danilo; Cosentino, Salvatore L.; Jeffries, Thomas W. 2013. Enzymatic hydrolysis, simultaneous saccharification and ethanol fermentation of oxalic acid pretreated giant reed (Arundo donax L.). Industrial Crops & Products, Volume 49, 2013; pp. 392-399.
KeywordsArundo donax, Giant reed, Pretreatment, SSF, Bioethanol production, Enzymatic hydrolysis
- Dilute oxalic acid pretreatment for biorefining giant reed (Arundo donax L.)
- Bioconversion of giant reed (Arundo donax L.) hemicellulose hydrolysate to ethanol by Scheffersomyces stipitis CBS6054
- Giant Reed (Arundo donax): A Climax Community of the Riparian Zone
XML: View XML