Skip to Main Content
Influence of competition and age on tree growth in structurally complex old-growth forests in northern Minnesota, USAAuthor(s): Tuomas Aakala; Shawn Fraver; Anthony W. D'Amato; Brian J. Palik
Source: Forest Ecology and Management. 308: 128-135.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
View PDF (609.69 KB)
DescriptionFactors influencing tree growth in structurally complex forests remain poorly understood. Here we assessed the influence of competition on Pinus resinosa (n = 224) and Pinus strobus (n = 90) growth in four old-growth stands in Minnesota, using mixed effects models. A subset of trees, with accurate age estimates, was used to further test the influence of tree age. Our analyses included the weighted Voronoi diagram (WVD) as a novel competition index, representing a detailed description of the spatial structure of a tree's neighborhood. Competition was variably expressed depending on stand developmental history and tree species. For P. resinosa in single-cohort stands, and P. strobus in multi-cohort stands, tree size relative to the population mean size best predicted tree growth. In contrast, for P. resinosa in multi-cohort stands, the spatial configuration of competitors became important, as shown by the superior performance of the WVD index. Surprisingly, while tree age had a negative influence on growth, it did not influence the intensity of competition. Our results highlight the importance of considering stand developmental history and tree age in analyses of tree growth and competition, and the potential for improving assessments of competition in complex stands, using detailed quantification of neighborhood structure.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationAakala, Tuomas; Fraver, Shawn; D'Amato, Anthony W.; Palik, Brian J. 2013. Influence of competition and age on tree growth in structurally complex old-growth forests in northern Minnesota, USA. Forest Ecology and Management. 308: 128-135.
KeywordsForest dynamics, Natural forest, Pinus resinosa, Pinus strobus, Mixed effects model, Multiplicatively weighted Voronoi diagram
- Age, size and regeneration of old growth white pine at Dividing Lake Nature Reserve, Algonquin Park, Ontario
- New cohort growth and survival in variable retention harvests of a pine ecosystem in Minnesota, USA
- White Pine Site Index for the Southern Forest Survey
XML: View XML