Skip to Main Content
Comparing i-Tree modeled ozone deposition with field measurements in a periurban Mediterranean forestAuthor(s): A. Morani; D. Nowak; S. Hirabayashi; G. Guidolotti; M. Medori; V. Muzzini; S. Fares; G. Scarascia Mugnozza; C. Calfapietra
Source: Environmental Pollution. 195: 202-209.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
View PDF (1.35 MB)
DescriptionOzone flux estimates from the i-Tree model were compared with ozone flux measurements using the Eddy Covariance technique in a periurban Mediterranean forest near Rome (Castelporziano). For the first time i-Tree model outputs were compared with field measurements in relation to dry deposition estimates. Results showed generally a good agreement between predicted and measured ozone fluxes (least sum square = 5.6 e-4) especially when cumulative values over the whole measurement campaign are considered. However at daily and hourly time-step some overestimations were observed in estimated values especially in hot dry periods. The use of different m values in the Ball-Berry formula in the different periods, produced the best fit between predicted and measured ozone fluxes. This suggests that a variable value for the coefficient m accounting for water availability may be appropriate to improve model estimates for Mediterranean and drought prone regions.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMorani, A.; Nowak, D.; Hirabayashi, S.; Guidolotti, G.; Medori, M.; Muzzini, V.; Fares, S.; Mugnozza, G. Scarascia; Calfapietra, C. 2014. Comparing i-Tree modeled ozone deposition with field measurements in a periurban Mediterranean forest. Environmental Pollution. 195: 202-209.
KeywordsBall-Berry, Ozone flux, Mediterranean region
- Quantifying simultaneous fluxes of ozone, carbon dioxide and water vapor above a subalpine forest ecosystem
- Inverse estimation of Vcmax, leaf area index, and the Ball-Berry parameter from carbon and energy fluxes
- Wet canopy evaporation from a Puerto Rican lower montane rain forest: the importance of realistically estimated aerodynamic conductance
XML: View XML