Composicion de aves del Pacifico Sur de Nicaragua enfatizando las especies indicadoras dependientes de bosque [Community composition of Nicaragua's Pacific Slope forest birds, emphasizing forest quality-dependent species]Author(s): M. Torrez; W.J. Arendt; M. Sotelo
Source: Mesoamericana. 17(2): 39-48.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: International Institute of Tropical Forestry
PDF: View PDF (531.01 KB)
DescriptionGiven the importance of biological corridors, it is necessary to evaluate their fauna especially those species are bioindicators of habitat quality, to determine patterns and extent of community diversity and how such factors reflect the level of conservation within and among green corridors in general. We investigated how selected landscape features within the Paso del Istmo, located in the Department of Rivas, Nicaragua, are influencing avian diversity and how key groups are providing clues to habitat quality. We recorded 8703 detections of 168 avian species using fixed-radius point counts (Distance Sampling) in four habitats among four farms. We found significant differences among habitats. Avian families sensitive to deforestation such as Trogloditidae y Thamnophilidae demonstrated a significant correlation with community richness (r2 = 0.42; r2 = 0.33, respectively; p < 0.0001 for both). Population dynamics of common species such as Long-tailed Manakin (Chiroxiphia linearis) and Dusky Antbird (Cercomacra tyrannina) revealed a current and important level of conservation in these habitats. Whit this study we recommend the preservation and management of mature forest remnants with ample understory, younger wooded tracts and brushy areas under regeneration to preserve and promote biodiversity among similar agroscapes within the Paso del Istmo and elsewhere.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationTorrez, M.; Arendt, W.J.; Sotelo, M. 2013. Composicion de aves del Pacifico Sur de Nicaragua enfatizando las especies indicadoras dependientes de bosque [Community composition of Nicaragua's Pacific Slope forest birds, emphasizing forest quality-dependent species]. Mesoamericana. 17(2): 39-48.
Keywordsforest birds, bioindicator, regeneration, Paso del Istmo, southeast of Nicaragua
- Nuevos rangos altitudinales para dos especies de la avifauna de Nicaragua
- Diversidad de aves en agropaisajes en la region norte de Nicaragua
- Pilot assessment of mercury exposure in selected biota from the lowlands of Nicaragua [Evaluacion piloto de exposicion al mercurio en biota selecta de las tierras bajas de Nicaragua
XML: View XML