Skip to Main Content
A hedonic price analysis of the outfitter market for trout fishing in the Rocky Mountain WestAuthor(s): Heidi M. Pitts; Jennifer A. Thacher; Patricia A. Champ; Robert P. Berrens
Source: Human Dimensions of Wildlife. 17(6): 446-462.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
PDF: View PDF (113.7 KB)
DescriptionTrout is the most popular sport fish in Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, and New Mexico where fishing outfitters bring revenues to many rural economies. This article uses the hedonic pricing method on a monopolistically competitive outfitter market in those four states to examine angler values for trout fishing characteristics. A total of 1,685 fishing trip observations were collected from 198 outfitter websites during the 2009 fishing season. Vectors of variables describe states, trip characteristics, trout species, and river destinations. Descriptions were used to estimate marginal implicit prices for fishing characteristics. Anglers highly valued fishing in Montana, Wyoming, and Colorado relative to New Mexico and fishing for only cutthroat trout as compared to brown, rainbow, and cutthroat trout together. Anglers also preferred quality indicators such as trophy-size trout opportunities, blue ribbon stream designation, and private land access. Results are related to cutthroat trout conservation strategies and recent state legislative bills regarding stream access.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationPitts, Heidi M.; Thacher, Jennifer A.; Champ, Patricia A.; Berrens, Robert P. 2012. A hedonic price analysis of the outfitter market for trout fishing in the Rocky Mountain West. Human Dimensions of Wildlife. 17(6): 446-462.
KeywordsRocky Mountain West, trout, fishing, hedonic analysis, cutthroat, private land, cutthroat conservation, stream access laws
- Conservation status of Colorado River cutthroat trout
- Chapter 5. Yellowstone cutthroat trout
- Factors influencing retention of visible implant tags by westslope cutthroat trout inhabiting headwater streams of Montana
XML: View XML