Skip to Main Content
Farmer's market, demonstration gardens, and research projects expand outreach of Extension Master GardenersAuthor(s): Pamela J. Bennett; Ellen M. Bauske; Alison Stoven O'Connor; Jean Reeder; Carol Busch; Heidi A. Kratsch; Elizabeth Leger; Angela O'Callaghan; Peter J. Nitzche; Jim Downer
Source: HortTechnology. 23(4): 411-415.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (71.25 KB)
DescriptionExtension Master Gardener (EMG) volunteers are central to expanding the outreach and engagement of extension staff. A workshop format was used at the Annual Conference of the American Society for Horticultural Science on 31 July 2012 in Miami, FL to identify successful management techniques and projects that expand EMG volunteer outreach, leading to increased extension effectiveness. One program leader described how EMGs manage a farmer's market that has been thriving for more than 30 years, generating income for the EMG program as well as the county extension office. Another program leader described a beneficial partnership between EMGs and the university in which EMGs grow plants for demonstration gardens and classroom use, facilitating learning for university students, EMGs, and the public. EMGs in another program have assumed much of the management role of the university orchard, using it for teaching and demonstrations. The final discussion focused on extension programs that used volunteers to assist in conducting research to expand extension's capabilities, and also increasing EMGs' understanding of the research process. All projects emphasized the need for extension agents to empower volunteers to take on leadership and decision-making roles as well as the value of EMGs to extension.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBennett, Pamela J.; Bauske, Ellen M.; O'Connor, Alison Stoven; Reeder, Jean; Busch, Carol; Kratsch, Heidi A.; Leger, Elizabeth; O'Callaghan, Angela; Nitzche, Peter J.; Downer, Jim. 2013. Farmer's market, demonstration gardens, and research projects expand outreach of Extension Master Gardeners. HortTechnology. 23(4): 411-415.
KeywordsExtension Master Gardener (EMG), outreach, volunteers
- Spread the word, not the disease! Sudden oak death outreach and the UC Master Gardener Program of Sonoma County SOD Specialists
- The Vallarta Botanical Garden's advancements in conserving the diversity of native Mexican oaks and magnolias
- Introducing a longitudinal study of community gardeners and gardens in New York City
XML: View XML