Skip to Main Content
Effects of Rhododendron maximum L. on Acer rubrum L. Seedling EstablishmentAuthor(s): Barton D. Clinton; James M. Vose
Source: Castnea 61(l): 38-45. March 1996
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (105 KB)
DescriptionRhododendron maximum L. restricts regeneration of overstory species; however, the mechanisms are poorly understood. Three treatments were used to examine the effects of R. maximum germination success and survival of Acer rubrum L. under a closed overstory canopy: (1) R. maximum understory, (2) open understory,and (3) open understory with shadecloth. Shadecloth treatments mimicked the low light conditions beneath R. maximum (<5% full sun) while controlling for R. maximum forest floor influences. Soil moisture was significantly lower under R. maximum than under open or shadecloth treatments. Initially, Acer rubrum survival was similar for open understory and shadecloth treatments, while germination and survival in R. maximum plots were low. After approximately 20 d, mortality in the shadecloth treatment increased and survival rates were less than 5% by the end of the sampling period. Survival in the open understory treatment stabilized at >2x that observed under shadecloth, while percent germination and survival in R. maximum plots were lower than in either of the other treatments throughout the sampling period. These results suggest that in addition to the light limitation associated with R. maximum, edaphic effects such as low soil moisture or allelopathic compounds may inhibit Acer rubrum success.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationClinton, Barton D.; Vose, James M. 1996. Effects of Rhododendron maximum L. on Acer rubrum L. Seedling Establishment. Castnea 61(l): 38-45. March 1996
- Silvical characteristics of red maple (Acer rubrum)
- The benefits of seed banking for red maple (Acer rubrum): maximizing seedling recruitment
- Polyploidy in Acer rubrum L.
XML: View XML