Skip to Main Content
National FIA plot intensification procedure reportAuthor(s): Jock A. Blackard; Paul L. Patterson
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. RMRS-GTR-329. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 63 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
View PDF (4.58 MB)
DescriptionThe Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) program of the U.S. Forest Service (USFS) measures a spatially distributed base grid of forest inventory plots across the United States. The sampling intensity of plots may be increased in some regions when warranted by specific inventory objectives. Several intensification methods have been developed within FIA and USFS National Forest Systems regions; however, a national standard routine for plot intensification does not exist. This report examines eight candidate intensification methods by a developed set of evaluation criteria, and based on those results proposes that FIA adopt the GRID method as its national plot intensification procedure. It is also suggested that the current version of the GRID method be updated by converting it to an ESRI ArcGIS add-in tool.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBlackard, Jock A.; Patterson, Paul L. 2014. National FIA plot intensification procedure report. Gen. Tech. Rep. RMRS-GTR-329. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 63 p.
Keywordssample intensification, forest inventory, plot intensification, Forest Inventory and Analysis
- Comparing alternatives for increasing sampling intensity in forest inventories
- Wisconsin State Forests Continuous Forest Inventory: A look at the first year
- Forests of South Dakota, 2017
XML: View XML