Skip to Main Content
Changes in the international trade balance of U.S. hardwood products from 1990 to 2013Author(s): William G. Luppold; Matthew S. Bumgardner
Source: BioResources. 9(4): 7086-7098.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (516.14 KB)
DescriptionWe examine U.S. exports and imports of hardwood products from 1990 to 2013. These products include logs, lumber, veneer, chips, molding, cooperage, plywood, and flooring. The values of hardwood products exported and imported have fluctuated over the years but have generally inceased. More substantial changs have occurred with the countries and regions receiving U.S. exports, as well as with those importing into the United States. The primary region receiving U.S. hardwood log and lumber in 1990 was Western Europe,but today China is the most important market. East Asia has been the most important source region for U.S. hardwood plywood imports,but the specific sources have shifted from Indonesia and Taiwan in 1990 to China today. The overall balance of U.S. hardwood product trade has remained positive for most of the years examined, with the United States having a comparative advantage in exporting log and lumber. In contrast,the United States has a comparative disadvantage in hardwood plywood exports.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLuppold, William G.; Bumgardner, Matthew S. 2014. Changes in the international trade balance of US hardwood products from 1990 to 2013. BioResources. 9(4): 7086-7098.
KeywordsU.S. hardwood exports, U.S. hardwood imports, International trade, Hardwood products
- Factors influencing changes in U.S. hardwood log and lumber exports from 1990 to 2011. BioResources
- Changes in U.S. hardwood lumber exports, 1990 to 2008
- International trade of U.S. hardwood lumber and logs, 1990-2013
XML: View XML