Skip to Main Content
Constructing New York City's urban forest. The politics and governance of the MillionTreesNYC campaignAuthor(s): Lindsay K. Campbell
Source: In: Sandberg, L. Anders; Bardekjian, Adrina; Butt, Sadia, eds. Urban forests, trees and greenspace. A policy perspective. New York, NY: Routledge: 242-260. Chapter 16.
Publication Series: Book Chapter
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (2.54 MB)
DescriptionIn 2005-2006, bureaucrats at the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) began to marshal quantitative evidence to argue for investment in tree planting as part of Mayor Bloomberg's long-term sustainability plan, PlaNYC 2030, launched in 2007. Concurrently, Bette Midlerthe celebrity founder of the non-profit New York Restoration Project (NYRP)announced her dream of planting one million trees in New York City. These two efforts were brought together as the MillionTreesNYC campaign, a formal public-private partnership to plant and care for one million trees citywide by 2017. Realizing that this effort could not be sustained in isolation, leaders of the campaign created an Advisory Committee that engaged more than 100 environmental organizations. Various programs were then implemented to build public awareness about treesfocusing on the multi-functional benefits of the urban forestand create a constituency of engaged citizens involved with the campaign.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
CitationCampbell, Lindsay K. 2014. Constructing New York City's urban forest The politics and governance of the MillionTreesNYC campaign. In: Sandberg, L. Anders; Bardekjian, Adrina; Butt, Sadia, eds. Urban forests, trees and greenspace. A policy perspective. New York, NY: Routledge: 242-260. Chapter 16.
- Million TreesNYC: the integration of research and practice
- How many trees are enough? Tree death and the urban canopy
- Planting forests in NYC: Is the goal restoration, reforestation, or afforestation?
XML: View XML