Skip to Main Content
Effect of policies on pellet production and forests in the U.S. South: a technical document supporting the Forest Service update of the 2010 RPA AssessmentAuthor(s): Karen L. Abt; Robert C. Abt; Christopher S. Galik; Kenneth E. Skog
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS-202, Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 33 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Southern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (9.71 MB)
Related Research Highlights
Renewable Energy Policies in the European Union Influencing Timber Markets and Forests in the Southern U.S.
DescriptionCurrent policies in the European Union (EU) requiring renewable and low greenhouse gas-emitting energy are affecting wood products manufacturing and forests in the United States. These policies have led to increased U.S. pellet production and export to the EU, which has in turn affected U.S. forests and other wood products manufacturing. At this time, the primary exporting region in the United States is the South, and the primary importing countries in the EU are the United Kingdom, Belgium, and the Netherlands. The policies and some Member State subsidies are expected to continue in place until at least 2020, with the potential to continue beyond that date. Key drivers of U.S. pellet feedstock supply include both the age structure of current timber inventory and the policies that define sustainability. Also influencing the effect of increased demand for timber for pellets are the price-inelastic supply and demand. A simulation of the market responses to increases in both pellet and other bioenergy demand in the U.S. South suggests that prices will increase for timber as harvest increases, and will in turn lead to long-term changes in inventory and forest land area.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationAbt, Karen L.; Abt, Robert C.; Galik, Christopher S.; and Skog, Kenneth E. 2014. Effect of policies on pellet production and forests in the U.S. South: a technical document supporting the Forest Service update of the 2010 RPA Assessment. Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS-202, Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 33 p.
KeywordsBioenergy, biomass, Renewable Energy Directive, timber supply, wood pellets
- Modeling the Impacts of EU Bioenergy Demand on the Forest Sector of the Southeast U.S.
- Wood energy markets, 2010-2011
- The U.S. South’s timber sector in 2005: a prospective analysis of recent change
XML: View XML