Skip to Main Content
Nondestructive Testing Technique to Quantify Deterioration from Marine Borer Attack in Sitka Spruce and Western Hemlock Logs: Observations from a Pilot TestAuthor(s): Robert Ross; John W. Forsman; John R. Erickson; Allen M. Brackley
Source: USDA Forest Service, Forest Products Laboratory, Research Note, FPL-RN-0333, 2014; 8 p.
Publication Series: Research Note (RN)
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
View PDF (334.55 KB)
DescriptionStress-wave nondestructive evaluation (NDE) techniques are used widely in the forest products industry—from the grading of wood veneer to inspection of timber structures. Inspection professionals frequently use stress-wave NDE techniques to locate internal voids and decayed or deteriorated areas in large timbers. Although these techniques have proven useful, little information exists concerning the relationship between stress-wave parameters and deterioration observed as a consequence of marine borer attack. In this pilot test, we examined the relationship between stress-wave transmission time and the quality of wood in Sitka spruce and western hemlock logs that had varying degrees of deterioration as a consequence of attack from marine borers. Stress-wave transmission time, perpendicular to grain, was measured at several locations on each log. The logs were then sawn into lumber, which was then visually evaluated. A relationship was observed between stress-wave transmission time and deterioration of the logs and the yield of lumber from the logs.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationRoss, Robert; Forsman, John W.; Erickson, John R.; Brackley, Allen M. 2014. Nondestructive Testing Technique to Quantify Deterioration from Marine Borer Attack in Sitka Spruce and Western Hemlock Logs: Observations from a Pilot Test. USDA Forest Service, Forest Products Laboratory, Research Note, FPL-RN-0333, 2014; 8 p.
KeywordsNondestructive testing, Sitka spruce, western hemlock, marine borer, stress waves
- Management of western Hemlock-sitka spruce forests for timber production.
- Site index and height growth curves for unmanaged even-aged stands of western hemlock and Sitka spruce in southeast Alaska.
- Partial cutting of western hemlock and sitka spruce in southeast Alaska.
XML: View XML