Skip to Main Content
Product costing guide for wood dimension and component manufacturersAuthor(s): Adrienn Andersch; Urs Buehlmann; Jeff Palmer; Janice K. Wiedenbeck; Steve Lawser
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-140. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 31 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (1.98 MB)
DescriptionThe North American hardwood dimension and components industry plays a critical role in the hardwood forest products industry as the industry is a user of high-value hardwood lumber. Customer expectations, global markets, and international competition, however, require hardwood dimension and components manufacturers to continuously improve their ability to manage their products and businesses. Accurate and timely product costing information is critically important for companies in planning the optimal utilization of company resources. While an overestimation of product costs can lead to loss of potential business and market share, underestimation of product costs can result in financial losses to the company. This paper introduces a product costing software package called WoodCite, which is designed specifically for small and medium-sized hardwood dimension and components manufacturers. WoodCite allows companies to determine product costs and create competitive bids based on their information. WoodCite uses a regression model to estimate overhead cost of a product based on historical cost information provided by the user. The application is available for free at http://www.nrs.fs.fed.us/tools/WoodCite/.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationAndersch, Adrienn; Buehlmann, Urs; Palmer, Jeff; Wiedenbeck, Janice K.; Lawser, Steve. 2014. Product costing guide for wood dimension and component manufacturers. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-140. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 31 p.
KeywordsWoodCite, product costing software, traditional product costing, hardwood dimension and components, small and medium-sized enterprises
- Product costing program for wood component manufacturers
- Status and opportunities associated with product costing strategies in wood component manufacturing
- Product costing practices in the North American hardwood component industry
XML: View XML