Skip to Main Content
Pyemotes tritici (Acari: Pyemotidae): a parasitoid of Agrilus auroguttatus and Agrilus coxalis (Coleoptera: Buprestidae) in the southwestern United States of America and southern MexicoAuthor(s): Tom W. Coleman; Michael I. Jones; Mark S. Hoddle; Laurel J. Haavik; John C. Moser; Mary L. Flint; Steven J. Seybold
Source: The Canadian Entomologist Volume 147(02): 244-248
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Southern Research Station
Download Publication (185.2 KB)
DescriptionThe straw itch mite, Pyemotes tritici Lagrèze-Fossat andMontané (Acari: Pyemotidae), was discovered parasitising the goldspotted oak borer, Agrilus auroguttatus Schaeffer (Coleoptera: Buprestidae), an invasive exotic species to California, United States of America, and the Mexican goldspotted oak borer, Agrilus coxalis Waterhouse (Coleoptera: Buprestidae), during surveys for natural enemies for a classical biological control programme for A. auroguttatus. Pyemotes tritici caused low levels of mortality to each species of flatheaded borer, but it will likely not be a good candidate for a biological control programme because it is a generalist parasitoid with deleterious human health effects.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationColeman, Tom W.; Jones, Michael I.; Hoddle, Mark S.; Haavik, Laurel J.; Moser, John C.; Flint, Mary L.; Seybold, Steven J. 2015. Pyemotes tritici (Acari: Pyemotidae): a parasitoid of Agrilus auroguttatus and Agrilus coxalis (Coleoptera: Buprestidae) in the southwestern United States of America and southern Mexico. The Canadian Entomologist. 147(02): 244-248. 5 p.
- Goldspotted oak borer: Field identification guide
- Previously unrecorded damage to oak, Quercus spp., in southern California by the goldspotted oak borer, Agrilus coxalis Waterhouse (Coleoptera: Buprestidae)
- Effects of the goldspotted oak borer, Agrilus auroguttatus, on the health of coast live oak, Quercus agrifolia, in southern California before and after treatment with two systemic insecticides
XML: View XML