Skip to Main Content
Ethanosolv Pretreatment of Bamboo with Dilute Acid for Efficient Enzymatic SaccharificationAuthor(s): Zhiqiang Li; Zehui Jiang; Benhua Fei; Zhiyong Cai; Xuejun Pan
Source: In: Proceedings of the 55th convention of Society of Wood Science and Technology, August 27-31, 2012 Beijing China. 9 p.
Publication Series: Full Proceedings
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
PDF: Download Publication (161.85 KB)
DescriptionBamboo is a potential lignocellulosic biomass for the production of bioethanol because of its high cellulose and hemicelluloses content. In this research, ethanosolv pretreatment catalyzed by sulfuric acid was studied in order to enhance enzymatic saccharification of moso bamboo. The addition of 2% (w/w on bamboo) sulfuric acid in water or 75% (v/v) ethanol was demonstrated effective in pretreatment and fractionation of bamboo. The ethanosolv pretreatment yielded a solid fraction with 84.5% cellulose. The cellulose-to-glucose conversion yields were 77.1% (ethanosolv) and 57.3%(water) after enzymatic hydrolysis of the solid fraction at 50 °C for 48 h using a enzyme loading (15 filter paper units of cellulase/g cellulose and 30 IU β-glucosidase/g cellulose). The concentrations of fermentation inhibitors such as 5-hydroxy-2- methyl furfural (HMF) and furfural were 0.96 g/L and 4.38 g/L, respectively, in the spent liquor after the ethanosolv pretreatment, which were slightly lower than those in the spent liquor from H2SO4-water treatment. When the pretreatment spent liquor was diluted with water, dissolved lignin was precipitated and then recovered through filtration. More than 87.2% of the original lignin in untreated bamboo was recovered as ethanol organosolv lignin.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLi, Zhiqiang; Jiang, Zehui; Fei, Benhua; Cai, Zhiyong; Pan, Xuejun. 2012. Ethanosolv Pretreatment of Bamboo with Dilute Acid for Efficient Enzymatic Saccharification. In: Proceedings of the 55th convention of Society of Wood Science and Technology, August 27-31, 2012 Beijing China. 9 p.
KeywordsBamboo, Bioethanol, Ethanosolv, Organosolv pretreatment, Dilute acid
- Effective of Microwave-KOH Pretreatment on Enzymatic Hydrolysis of Bamboo
- Comparison of bamboo green, timber and yellow in sulfite, sulfuric acid and sodium hydroxide pretreatments for enzymatic saccharification
- Facile fractionation of bamboo wood toward biomass valorization by p -TsOH-Based methanolysis pretreatment
XML: View XML