Skip to Main Content
Seasonal influence on Ohio hardwood stumpage price trendsAuthor(s): T. Eric McConnell
Source: In: Groninger, John W.; Holzmueller, Eric J.; Nielsen, Clayton K.; Dey, Daniel C., eds. Proceedings, 19th Central Hardwood Forest Conference; 2014 March 10-12; Carbondale, IL. General Technical Report NRS-P-142. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 322-329.
Publication Series: Paper (invited, offered, keynote)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (288.43 KB)
DescriptionThe average annual percentage rates of change in real sawtimber stumpage prices from 1978 through 2012 (dollars per thousand board feet, Doyle) for the 10 commercial hardwood species of Ohio were determined. Each species was then further examined for differing trend lines between the spring and fall reporting periods. Annual real rates of change ranged from -1.10 percent for basswood to 2.13 percent for hard maple. Across species, 37 percent of the annual price highs occurred in spring; 59 percent of the annual highs occurred in fall. Approximately 75 percent of all price cycles lasted three seasons or less. However, no spring/fall seasonality effect in reported prices was observed for any of the 10 species. Although the relatively low rates of change suggest Ohio has historically been a buyer's market, the seasonal variation characteristic of a buyer’s market was not present in Ohio's hardwood stumpage price trends.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMcConnell, T. Eric. 2014. Seasonal influence on Ohio hardwood stumpage price trends. In: Groninger, John W.; Holzmueller, Eric J.; Nielsen, Clayton K.; Dey, Daniel C., eds. Proceedings, 19th Central Hardwood Forest Conference; 2014 March 10-12; Carbondale, IL. General Technical Report NRS-P-142. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 322-329.
- Vermont stumpage price trends revisited: with comparisons to New Hampshire
- Relative price trends for hardwood stumpage, sawlogs, and lumber in Ohio
- How low are hardwood lumber prices in real terms?
XML: View XML