Skip to Main Content
Growth Response From Herbicide, Prescribed Fire, and Fertilizer Treatments in Midrotational Loblolly Pine: Fire-Year ResponseAuthor(s): Mary Michelle Barnett; Sandra Rideout; Brian P. Oswald; Kenneth W. Farrish; Hans M. Williams
Source: In: Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS–48. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station. pg. 143-146
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (47 KB)
DescriptionThis study was initiated to determine growth response resulting from the application of prescribed fire and herbicide, with and without fertilization. In southeast Texas, herbicide, prescribed fire and fertilizer treatments were applied in mid-rotational loblolly pine plantations 1.5 years after thinning. Five replications were established at each of two study sites located on similar soils, aspects and slopes. Half of each replication was randomly selected and fertilized. Eight treatment plots were established in each replication with one of each of the four treatments of control, herbicide, fire, and herbicide/fire randomly applied to fertilized plots and one of each of the four treatments randomly applied to non-fertilized plots. Pre-treatment measurements were taken in a 0.04 ha measurement plot nested within each treatment plot. A late season herbicide treatment of Imazapyr and Arsenal was applied in October 1999. Burning was conducted in early spring of 2000 followed by fertilizer applications of diammonium phosphate and urea. Post-treatment measurements were taken in December 2000. Growth response and significant treatment differences are presented in this paper.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBarnett, Mary Michelle; Rideout, Sandra; Oswald, Brian P.; Farrish, Kenneth W.; Williams, Hans M. 2002. Growth Response From Herbicide, Prescribed Fire, and Fertilizer Treatments in Midrotational Loblolly Pine: Fire-Year Response. In: Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS–48. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station. pg. 143-146
- Growth Reponse of Loblolly Pine to Intermediate Treatment of Fire, Herbicide, and Fertilizer: Preliminary Results
- Loblolly pine growth response to mid-rotational treatments in an Eastern Texas plantation
- Mesquite cover responses in rotational grazing/prescribed fire management systems: Landscape assessment using aerial images
XML: View XML