Skip to Main Content
Visualization of time-varying natural tree dataAuthor(s): S. Brasch; L. Linsen; E.G. McPherson
Source: Proceedings of the Seventh IASTED International Conference on Visualization, Imaging and Image Processing. Calgary, AB: Acta Press, 129-134.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous
Station: Pacific Southwest Research Station
PDF: View PDF (1018.5 KB)
DescriptionGiven a set of global (natural) tree parameters measured for many specimens of different ages for a range of species, we have developed a tool that visualizes these parameters over time. The parameters include measures of tree dimensions like heights, diameters, and crown shape, and measures of costs and benefits for growing the tree. We visualize the tree dimensions by animating tree growth over time, while the accumulated costs and benefits are visualized using animated bar charts. Since our visualization system is targeted towards application for city planning purposes, the tree growth animation should produce trees of an appearance close to nature while being conform with the measured parameters. We have developed a system for single-stemmed trees. In addition to the measured data, we use biological knowledge to model general tree growth and to adjust to specific species. We have implemented several computationally fast methods to improve the natural growth and appearance of the trees, where the main task was to keep the tree growth modeling and the tree rendering interactive. Thus, the user can interact with the 3D visualization system during the tree growth modeling and rendering process. We have applied our visualization techniques to the growth and the temporal costs/benefits changes of nine single-stemmed tree species.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBrasch, S.; Linsen, L.; McPherson, E.G. 2007. Visualization of time-varying natural tree data. In: Villaneuva, J.J., ed., Proceedings of the Seventh IASTED International Conference on Visualization, Imaging and Image Processing. Calgary, AB: Acta Press, 129-134.
Keywordstree growth visualization, growth data, biological data
- Inverse modeling and animation of growing single-stemmed trees at interactive rates
- The feasibility of remotely sensed data to estimate urban tree dimensions and biomass
- Tree growth visualization
XML: View XML