Skip to Main Content
ROMI 4.0: Rough mill simulator 4.0 users manualAuthor(s): R. Edward Thomas; Timo Grueneberg; Urs. Buehlmann
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-143. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 82 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Northern Research Station
View PDF (7.73 MB)
DescriptionThe Rough MIll simulator (ROMI Version 4.0) is a computer software package for personal computers (PCs) that simulates current industrial practices for rip-first, chop-first, and rip and chop-first lumber processing. This guide shows how to set up the software; design, implement, and execute simulations; and examine the results. ROMI 4.0 accepts cutting bills with as many as 600 solid and/or panel part sizes. Plots of boards processed are easily viewed or printed as are detailed summaries of processing data (number of rips and crosscuts) and yields for each grade. ROMI 4.0 optimization algorithms are based on a red oak database containing 3,500 boards of all common National Hardwood Lumber Association grades. Even though ROMI is based on red oak, the digitized board information can be adapted and modified to several other common hardwood species. It is an updated version of ROMI 3: Rough Mill Simulator Version 3.0: User's Guide, General Technical Report NE-328.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationThomas, R. Edward; Grueneberg, Timo; Buehlmann, Urs. 2015. ROMI 4.0: Rough mill simulator 4.0 users manual. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-143. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 82 p.
Keywordsrough mill, cutting bill, simulation, hardware lumber
- ROMI 4.0: Updated Rough Mill Simulator
- ROMI-3: Rough-Mill Simulator Version 3.0: User's Guide
- Validation of the ROMI-RIP rough mill simulator
XML: View XML