Skip to Main Content
Addition of Sulfometuron Methyl to Fall Site Preparation Tank Mixes Improves Herbaceous Weed ControlAuthor(s): A.W. Ezell
Source: In: Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS–48. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station. pg. 251-253
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (44 KB)
DescriptionA total of 12 herbicide treatments were applied to a recently harvested forest site in Winston County, MS. All treatments were representative of forest site preparation tank mixtures and were applied early September, 1999. Three ounces of Oust7 were included in two of the tank mixes, and 19 ounces of Oustar7 were included in two of the mixes. All treatments were applied with a CO -powered backpack sprayer to simulate aerial application at 10 gpa. In May, June, July, and August of 2000, treatment plots were evaluated for herbaceous competition control. During October, 2000, plots were evaluated for woody stem control based on a comparison with pre-treatment measurements. In May 2000, herbaceous species had reduced the average percent clear ground to 42-62 percent in plots without Oust or Oustar while those plots with the products added had 94-97 percent clear ground. Untreated areas had only one percent clear ground by this rating time. Percent clear ground continued to decrease to 10-15 percent in July for plots without Oust or Oustar while plots were 83-94 percent clear in treatments with the product. By August, plots with the Oust were 65-80 percent clear and those with Oustar were 57-92 percent clear whereas plots without the products were 5-13 percent clear. Both Oust and Oustar provided excellent herbaceous weed control for 12 months following application in this study. Oustar provided slightly better control than the Oust
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationEzell, A.W. 2002. Addition of Sulfometuron Methyl to Fall Site Preparation Tank Mixes Improves Herbaceous Weed Control. In: Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS–48. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station. pg. 251-253
- Oustar: A Premixed Blend of Velpar DF+Oust XP For Herbaceous Weed Control and Enhanced Loblolly Pine Seedling Performance
- Control of hay-scented and New York ferns with Oust Xp® herbicide: Revisiting rate and timing required in mixed oak and northern hardwood stands
- Comparison of treatments of controlling kudzu prior to planting tree seedlings
XML: View XML