Skip to Main Content
Allometric equations for estimating tree biomass in restored mixed-species Atlantic Forest standsAuthor(s): Lauro Rodrigues Nogueira; Vera Lex Engel; John A. Parrotta; Antonio Carlos Galvão de Melo; Danilo Scorzoni Ré
Source: Biota Neotropica
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Washington Office
PDF: Download Publication (0 B)
DescriptionRestoration of Atlantic Forests is receiving increasing attention because of its role in both biodiversity conservation and carbon sequestration for global climate change mitigation. This study was carried out in an Atlantic Forest restoration project in the south-central region of São Paulo State – Brazil to develop allometric equations to estimate tree biomass of indigenous tree species in mixed plantations. Above and below-ground biomass (AGB and BGB, respectively), stem diameter (DBH: diameter at 1.3 m height), tree height (H: total height) and specific wood density (WD) were measured for 60 trees of 19 species. Different biomass equations (linear and nonlinear-transformed) were adjusted to estimate AGB and BGB as a function of DBH, H and WD. For estimating AGB and BGB, the linear biomass equation models were the least accurate. The transformed nonlinear biomass equation that used log DBH2, log H and log WD as predictor variables were the most accurate for AGB and the transformed nonlinear biomass equations that used log DBH2*WD as predictor variables were the most accurate for BGB. It is concluded that these adjusted equations can be used to estimate the AGB and BGB in areas of the studied project. The adjusted equations can be recommended for use elsewhere in the region for forest stands of similar age, tree size ranges, species composition and site characteristics.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationNogueira, Lauro Rodrigues; Engel, Vera Lex; Parrotta, John A.; Galvão de Melo, Antonio Carlos; Scorzoni Ré, Danilo. 2014. Allometric equations for estimating tree biomass in restored mixed-species Atlantic Forest stands. Biota Neotropica 14(2): 1–9.
KeywordsAbove-ground biomass, Below-ground biomass, Biomass equation, Tree allometry, Atlantic Forest, Restoration.
- Allometric equations for estimating aboveground biomass for common shrubs in northeastern California
- Development of equations for predicting Puerto Rican subtropical dry forest biomass and volume.
- Development of equations for predicting Puerto Rican subtropical dry forest biomass and volume
XML: View XML