Skip to Main Content
The key roles of four Experimental Forests in the LTSP International Research ProgramAuthor(s): Robert F. Powers; Robert Denner; John D. Elioff; Gary O. Fiddler; Deborah Page-Dumroese; Felix Ponder; Allan E. Tiarks; Peter E. Avers; Richard G. Cline; Nelson S. Loftus
Source: In: Hayes, Deborah C.; Stout, Susan L.; Crawford, Ralph H.; Hoover, Anne P., eds. USDA Forest Service Experimental Forests and Ranges: Research for the long term. New York: Springer: 537-563.
Publication Series: Book Chapter
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
View PDF (2.0 MB)
DescriptionFour Experimental Forests were pivotal in piloting the long-term soil productivity (LTSP) cooperative research program - one of the most successful and extensive collaborative science efforts yet undertaken by the USDA Forest Service. Launched on the Palustris, Challenge, Marcell, and Priest River Experimental Forests, LTSP traces to a seminal discussion during a field tour in central Louisiana in 1986. P. E. Avers, National Soils Program Leader in Washington DC, described to D. H. Alban and R. F. Powers a problem arising from the National Forest Management Act of 1976 (NFMA). That conversation sparked an idea that quickly caught fire. This chapter documents how LTSP came to be and why four Experimental Forests were central to its success. It began with a ripple effect of the NFMA.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationPowers, Robert F.; Alban, David H.; Denner, Robert; Elioff, John D.; Fiddler, Gary O.; Page-Dumroese, Deborah; Ponder, Felix; Tiarks, Allan E.; Avers, Peter E.; Cline, Richard G.; Loftus, Nelson S. 2014. The key roles of four Experimental Forests in the LTSP International Research Program [Chapter 23]. In: Hayes, Deborah C.; Stout, Susan L.; Crawford, Ralph H.; Hoover, Anne P., eds. USDA Forest Service Experimental Forests and Ranges: Research for the long term. New York: Springer: 537-563.
KeywordsChallenge Experimental Forest, Marcell Experimental Forest, Palustris Experimental Forest, Priest River Experimental Forest, Long-term research, sustainable productivity
- Long-term soil productivity: genesis of the concept and principles behind the program
- The North-American Long-Term Soil Productivity Study: Concepts and literature
- Site productivity and diversity of the Middle Mountain long-term soil productivity study, West Virginia: Pre-experimental site characterization
XML: View XML