Skip to Main Content
Due to a lapse in federal funding, this USDA website will not be actively updated. Once funding has been reestablished, online operations will continue.
Forests of South Dakota, 2014Author(s): Brian F. Walters
Source: Resource Update FS-41. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 4 p.
Publication Series: Resource Update (RU)
PDF: View PDF (448.31 KB)
DescriptionThis resource update provides an overview of forest resources in South Dakota based on an inventory conducted by the U.S. Forest Service, Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) program at the Northern Research Station (NRS) in cooperation with the South Dakota Department of Agriculture, Resource Conservation and Forestry Division. Estimates are based on field data collected using the FIA annualized sample design and are updated yearly. In 2014, NRS-FIA changed from a 5- to a 7-year inventory cycle, wherein one-seventh, or 14.3 percent, of plots will be measured annually until cycle completion. To ensure that all plots are transitioned to the new cycle length, estimates reported for 2014 include data collected from 2009-2014, with comparisons made to data reported in 2009 (collected from 2005-2009).
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWalters, Brian F. 2015. Forests of South Dakota, 2014. Resource Update FS-41. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 4 p.
XML: View XML