Skip to Main Content
Forest sector and primary forest products industry contributions to the economies of the southern states: 2011 updateAuthor(s): Consuelo Brandeis; Donald G. Hodges
Source: Journal of Forestry • March 2015
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Southern Research Station
View PDF (220.0 KB)
DescriptionThe analysis in this article provides an update on the southern forest sector economic activity after the downturn experienced in 2008–2009. The analysis was conducted using Impact Analysis for Planning (IMPLAN) software and data sets for 2009 and 2011 and results from the USDA Forest Service Timber Products Output latest survey of primary wood processing mills. Although improving economic conditions are reflected by increased mill roundwood consumption during 2011, the forest industry’s economic contribution improved slightly but not across all states. At the regional scale, the sector displayed a downward trend in employment, value added, and number of active primary mills.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBrandeis, Consuelo; Hodges, Donald G. 2015. Forest sector and primary forest products industry contributions to the economies of the southern states: 2011 update. Journal of Forestry • March 2015. 5 p.
Keywordssouthern forest products industry, economic contribution, economic contribution, timber harvest, North American Industry Classification System (NAICS)
- Recession effects on the forests and forest products industries of the South.
- North Carolina’s timber industry, 2011—timber product output and use—forest inventory and analysis factsheet
- Georgia’s timber industry, 2011—timber product output and use—forest inventory and analysis factsheet
XML: View XML