Skip to Main Content
Revisiting the phylogeny of Ocellularieae, the second largest tribe within Graphidaceae (lichenized Ascomycota: Ostropales)Author(s): Ekaphan Kraichak; Sittiporn Parnmen; Robert Lücking; Eimy Rivas Plata; Andre Aptroot; Marcela E.S. Caceres; Damien Ertz; Armin Mangold; Joel A. Mercado-Diaz; Khwanruan Papong; Dries Van der Broeck; Gothamie Weerakoon; H. Thorsten Lumbsch; NO-VALUE
Source: Phytotaxa. 189(1):52-81
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Download Publication (14.99 MB)
DescriptionWe present an updated 3-locus molecular phylogeny of tribe Ocellularieae, the second largest tribe within subfamily Graphidoideae in the Graphidaceae. Adding 165 newly generated sequences from the mitochondrial small subunit rDNA (mtSSU), the nuclear large subunit rDNA (nuLSU), and the second largest subunit of the DNA-directed RNA polymerase II (RPB2), we currently distinguish 218 species among the sequenced material, including the outgroup. This corresponds to almost half the species at this point recognized within this tribe. The newly generated sequences include 23 newly described species and one newly described genus published elsewhere in this volume. For the first time, Sarcographina cyclospora Müll. Arg., in spite of its distinctly lirellate ascomata, is shown to belong in tribe Ocellularieae, as strongly supported sister to Ocellularia inturgescens (Müll. Arg.) Mangold. The following six new combinations are proposed: Melanotrema lynceodes (Nyl.) Rivas Plata, Lücking & Lumbsch, Ocellularia curranii (Vain.) Kraichak, Lücking & Lumbsch, O. khasiana (Patw. & Nagarkar) Kraichak, Lücking & Lumbsch, O. cinerea (Müll. Arg.) Kraichak, Lücking & Lumbsch, O. erodens (R. C. Harris) Kraichak, Lücking & Lumbsch, and O. laeviuscula (Nyl) Kraichak, Lücking & Lumbsch. Further, the new name Ocellularia hernandeziana Kraichak, Lücking & Lumbsch is introduced for Myriotrema ecorticatum. The nomenclatural status of the name Ocellularia microstoma is clarified.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationKraichak, Ekaphan; Parnmen, Sittiporn; Lücking, Robert; Rivas Plata, Eimy; Aptroot, Andre; Caceres, Marcela E.S.; Ertz, Damien; Mangold, Armin; Mercado-Diaz, Joel A.; Papong, Khwanruan; Van der Broeck, Dries; Weerakoon, Gothamie; Lumbsch, H. Thorsten. 2014. Revisiting the phylogeny of Ocellularieae, the second largest tribe within Graphidaceae (lichenized Ascomycota: Ostropales). Phytotaxa. 189(1):52-81.
KeywordsGraphidaceae, lichenized Ascomycota, Ampliotrema, Glaucotrema, phylogenetic resolution, Redingeria, Reimnitzia, Rhabdodiscus, Sarcographina, Stegobolus, supermatrix
- Taxonomy and phylogeny of Lopharia s.s., Dendrodontia, Dentocorticium and Fuscocerrena (Basidiomycota, Polyporales)
- Two new genera and twelve new species of Graphidaceae from Puerto Rico: a case for higher endemism of lichenized fungi in islands of the Caribbean?
- Deconstructing the Tricholomataceae (Agaricales) and introduction of the new genera Albomagister, Corneriella, Pogonoloma and Pseudotricholoma
XML: View XML