Skip to Main Content
Sampling and measurement protocols for long-term silvicultural studies on the Penobscot Experimental ForestAuthor(s): Justin D. Waskiewicz; Laura S. Kenefic; Nicole S. Rogers; Joshua J. Puhlick; John C. Brissette; Richard J. Dionne
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-147. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 32 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (3.36 MB)
DescriptionThe U.S. Forest Service, Northern Research Station has been conducting research on the silviculture of northern conifers on the Penobscot Experimental Forest (PEF) in Maine since 1950. Formal study plans provide guidance and specifications for the experimental treatments, but documentation is also needed to ensure consistency in data collection and sampling protocols. This guide details current sampling and measurement protocols for three of the longest running Forest Service experiments on the PEF: (1) the management intensity demonstration (1950 to present), (2) the compartment management study (1952 to present), and (3) the auxiliary selection cutting study (1953-present). Each of these long-term stand-scale experiments use plot-based measurements of trees taken at periodic intervals. Additional data collected vary and include regeneration, recruitment, and mortality; amount, size, and decay of dead wood; and stand structural characteristics such as heights, crown dimensions, and spatial locations of trees. Descriptions provided here are the basis for data collection in the relevant studies on the PEF, inform interpretation of the published databases, and serve as a model for silvicultural studies elsewhere.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWaskiewicz, Justin D.; Kenefic, Laura S.; Rogers, Nicole S.; Puhlick, Joshua J.; Brissette, John C.; Dionne, Richard J. 2015. Sampling and measurement protocols for long-term silvicultural studies on the Penobscot Experimental Forest. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-147. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 32 p.
Keywordscompartment management study, management intensity demonstration, selection cutting, Acadian forest, northern conifers, red spruce, balsam fir
- Penobscot Experimental Forest: 60 years of research and demonstration in Maine, 1950-2010
- The cooperative forestry research unit Commercial Thinning Research Network--9-year results
- Northeastern conifer research: Multiple species and multiple values
XML: View XML