Steric effects in the design of Co-Schiff base complexes for the catalytic oxidation of lignin models to para-benzoquinonesAuthor(s): Berenger Biannic; Joseph J. Bozell; Thomas Elder
Source: Green Chemistry, 16:3635-3642
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Southern Research Station
Download Publication (462.68 KB)
DescriptionNew Co-Schiff base complexes that incorporate a sterically hindered ligand and an intramolecular bulky piperazine base in close proximity to the Co center are synthesized. Their utility as catalysts for the oxidation of para-substituted lignin model phenols with molecular oxygen is examined. Syringyl and guaiacyl alcohol, as models of S and G units in lignin, are oxidized in good yield using a catalyst bearing an N-benzylpiperazinyl substituent, with the catalysts displaying improved reactivity for G oxidation. Computational evaluation of the catalysts shows that the piperazinyl substituent is within bonding distance of the Co center. The increased steric interference is suggested as the source of increased G reactivity.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBiannic, Berenger; Bozell, Joseph J.; Elder, Thoma. 2014. Steric effects in the design of Co-Schiff base complexes for the catalytic oxidation of lignin models to para-benzoquinones. Green Chemistry, 16:3635-3642. 8 p.
- Steric effects of bulky tethered arylpiperazines on the reactivity of Co-Schiff base oxidation catalysts—a synthetic and computational study
- Co(salen)-catalyzed oxidation of lignin models to form benzoquinones and benzaldehydes: A computational and experimental study
- Deactivation of Co-Schiff base catalysts in the oxidation of para -substituted lignin models for the production of benzoquinones
XML: View XML