Skip to Main Content
DecAID: a decaying wood advisory model for Oregon and Washington.Author(s): Kim Mellen; Bruce G. Marcot; Janet L. Ohmann; Karen L. Waddell; Elizabeth A. Willhite; Bruce B. Hostetler; Susan A. Livingston; Cay Ogden
Source: In: Proceedings of the symposium on the ecology and management of dead wood in western forests. 1999 November 2-4; Reno, NV. Gen. Tech. Rep. PSW-GTR-181. Albany, CA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Southwest Research Station: 527-533
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
PDF: Download Publication (374 KB)
DescriptionDecAID is a knowledge-based advisory model that provides guidance to managers in determining the size, amount, and distribution of dead and decaying wood (dead and partially dead trees and down wood) necessary to maintain wildlife habitat and ecosystem functions. The intent of the model is to update and replace existing snag-wildlife models in Washington and Oregon. Whereas the relationship of dead and decaying wood to wildlife habitat is a major component of the model, DecAID will also provide expert advice on prescribing and interpreting conditions of dead wood for wildland and prescribed fire and fuels, pest and nonpest insects, pathogens and non-pathogenic fungi, and use of inventory data to describe current managed and natural levels of dead wood. The model also produces a list of ecosystem functions performed by species associated with dead and decaying wood. Advice on the distribution of dead wood at the stand and landscape scale is provided in the model.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMellen, Kim; Marcot, Bruce G. ; Ohmann, Janet L.; Waddell, Karen L.; Willhite, Elizabeth A.; Hostetler, Bruce B.; Livingston, Susan A.; Ogden, Cay. 2002. DecAID: a decaying wood advisory model for Oregon and Washington. In: Proceedings of the symposium on the ecology and management of dead wood in western forests. 1999 November 2-4; Reno, NV. Gen. Tech. Rep. PSW-GTR-181. Albany, CA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Southwest Research Station: 527-533
- Ecosystem processes related to wood decay
- If a tree falls in the woods, who will measure it? DecAID decayed wood advisor.
- DecAID advisor: a tool for managing snags, down wood and wood decay in PNW forests.
XML: View XML