Skip to Main Content
Recreation and tourism in south-central Alaska: patterns and prospects.Author(s): Steve Colt; Stephanie Martin; Jenna Mieren; Martha Tomeo
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-551. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 78 p
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
View PDF (7.0 MB)
DescriptionBased on data from various sources, this report describes the extent and nature of recreation and tourism in south-central Alaska. Current activities, past trends, and prospective developments are presented. Particular attention is given to activities that occur on, or are directly affected by management of, the Chugach National Forest. Recreation and tourism in and around the forest are also placed in a larger context. The Chugach National Forest is heavily used as a scenic resource by motorists and waterborne passengers; road access to the forest supports recreation activities such as fishing, camping, hiking, and wildlife viewing. Although the annual rate of increase in visitors to south-central Alaska seems to have slowed in the late 1990s, evidence indicates that currently both visitors and Alaska residents are increasingly seeking active forms of recreation and ?soft adventure.? These demands, combined with likely capacity constraints at well-known attractions in Alaska and entrepreneurial efforts to provide short-duration recreation and tourism experiences, may lead to increasing use of the Chugach National Forest.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationColt, Steve; Martin, Stephanie; Mieren, Jenna; Tomeo, Martha. 2002. Recreation and tourism in south-central Alaska: patterns and prospects. Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-551. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 78 p
KeywordsTourism, recreation, south-central Alaska, Chugach National Forest, land management planning
- Recreation and tourism in south-central Alaska: synthesis of recent trends and prospects.
- Is Alaska really different? A review of CUSTOMER recreation visitor survey data
- Data survey and sampling procedures to quantify recreation use of national forests in Alaska
XML: View XML