Skip to Main Content
Eddy covariance flux corrections and uncertainties in long-term studies of carbon and energy exchangesAuthor(s): W. J. Massman; X. Lee
Source: Agriculture and Forest Meteorology. 113: 121-144.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (257.48 KB)
DescriptionThis study derives from and extends the discussions of a US DOE sponsored workshop held on 30 and 31 May, 2000 in Boulder, CO concerning issues and uncertainties related to long-term eddy covariance measurements of carbon and energy exchanges. The workshop was organized in response to concerns raised at the 1999 annual AmeriFlux meeting about the lack of uniformity among sites when making spectral corrections to eddy covariance flux estimates and when correcting the eddy covariance CO2 fluxes for lack of energy balance closure. Ultimately, this lack of uniformity makes cross-site comparisons and global synthesis difficult and uncertain. The workshop had two primary goals: first, to highlight issues involved in the accuracy of long-term eddy covariance flux records; and second, to identify research areas and actions of high priority for addressing these issues. Topics covered at the workshop include different methods for making spectral corrections, the influence of 3D effects such as drainage and advection, underestimation of eddy covariance fluxes due to inability to measure low frequency contributions, coordinate systems, and nighttime flux measurements. In addition, this study also covers some new and potentially important issues, not raised at the workshop, involving density terms to trace gas eddy covariance fluxes (Webb et al., 1980). Wherever possible, this paper synthesizes these discussions and make recommendations concerning methodologies and research priorities.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMassman, W. J.; Lee, X. 2002. Eddy covariance flux corrections and uncertainties in long-term studies of carbon and energy exchanges. Agriculture and Forest Meteorology. 113: 121-144.
Keywordseddy covariance flux corrections, carbon and energy exchanges
- Concerning the measurement of atmospheric trace gas fluxes with open- and closed-path eddy covariance systems: The density terms and spectral attenuation [Chapter 7]
- Summary and synthesis of recommendations of the AmeriFlux Workshop on standardization of flux analysis and diagnostics; Corvallis, Oregon; August 2002
- Eddy covariance measurements with a new fast-response, enclosed-path analyzer: Spectral characteristics and cross-system comparisons
XML: View XML