Skip to Main Content
Research and development portfolio of the sustainability science team national sustainable operations USDA Forest ServiceAuthor(s): Trista Patterson; David Nicholls; Jonathan Long
Source: Research Note. PNW-RN-572. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 18 p.
Publication Series: Research Note (RN)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
View PDF (600.51 KB)
DescriptionThe Sustainability Science Team (SST) of the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Forest Service Sustainable Operations Initiative is a 18-member virtual research and development team, located across five regions and four research stations of the USDA Forest Service. The team provides research, publication, systems analysis, and decision support to the Sustainable Operations program of USDA Forest Service Business Operations. This report examines the role of the SST in supporting ongoing agency developments in the emerging field of sustainability science. We provide an overview of current areas of research, including the broad themes of resource consumption, energy efficiency, and organizational change to promote sustainability. We review the mandates and structure of current programs and identify future opportunities. Six environmental footprint areas have been identified to guide activities of the SST: energy, water, waste, transportation, purchasing, and leadership. These six areas have been incorporated into the team’s research on life-cycle analysis, footprinting, cost-benefit analysis, return-on-investment analysis, assessment protocols, systems analysis, knowledge management strategies, and behavior-change impact analysis.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationPatterson, Trista; Nicholls, David; Long Jonathan. 2015. Research and development portfolio of the sustainability science team national sustainable operations USDA Forest Service. Res. Note PNW-RN-572. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 18 p.
KeywordsSustainable Operations, USDA Forest Service, greenhouse gas emissions, biomimicry, energy efficiency.
- Top-down and bottom-up approaches to greenhouse gas inventory methods—a comparison between national- and forest-scale reporting methods
- National workshop on forest productivity & technology: cooperative research to support a sustainable & competitive future - progress and strategy
- Monitoring the sustainability of the Southern forest
XML: View XML