Skip to Main Content
The Mediterranean pine engraverAuthor(s): Jana C. Lee; Sheri L. Smith; Steven J. Seybold
Source: Pest Alert R5-PR-016. Berkeley, CA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Southwest Research Station. 4 p
Publication Series: Information Forestry
Station: Pacific Southwest Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (895.18 KB)
DescriptionIn May 2004, a new exotic bark beetle for North America was discovered in baited flight traps in Fresno, California during an annual bark beetle and woodborer survey by the California Department of Food and Agriculture. This bark beetle was identified as Orthotomicus erosus (Wollaston), the Mediterranean pine engraver, a well-documented pest of pines in the Mediterranean region, the Middle East, Central Asia, and China. This beetle has been intercepted many times in the past at U.S. ports in association with solid wood packing material. Since the initial detection, the beetle has been found in flight traps in five counties in California's southern Central Valley.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLee, J.C.; Smith, S.L.; Seybold, S.J. 2005. The Mediterranean pine engraver. Pest Alert R5-PR-016. Berkeley, CA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Southwest Research Station. 4 p.
- The flight periodicity, attack patterns, and life history of Dryocoetes confusus Swaine (Coleoptera: Curculionida: Scolytinae), the western balsam bark beetle, in north central Colorado
- Influence of temperature on spring flight initiation for southwestern ponderosa pine bark beetles (Coleoptera: Curculionidae, Scolytinae)
- The push–pull tactic for mitigation of mountain pine beetle (Coleoptera: Curculionidae) damage in lodgepole and whitebark pines
XML: View XML