Science and stewardship to protect and sustain wilderness values: Tenth World Wilderness Congress symposium; 2013, 4-10 October, Salamanca, SpainAuthor(s): Alan Watson; Stephen Carver; Zdenka Krenova; Brooke McBride
Source: Proceedings RMRS-P-74. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 208 p.
Publication Series: Proceedings (P)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
PDF: View PDF (16.0 MB)
DescriptionThe Tenth World Wilderness Congress (WILD10) met in Salamanca, Spain in 2013. The symposium on science and stewardship to protect and sustain wilderness values was the largest of multiple symposia held in conjunction with the Congress. This symposium was organized and sponsored by the Aldo Leopold Wilderness Research Institute, the Wildland Research Institute of the University of Leeds, CzechGlobe - Global Change Research Centre, and the WILD Foundation. The papers contained in these proceedings were generated at this symposium, but not all authors submitted papers for consideration for inclusion in these proceedings. They have been organized into four major sections: (1) Europe: Intervention and Nonintervention to Meet Protection Goals, (2) Australia and Antarctica: Geography of Place and Spirit in The Big Wild, (3) Africa and North America: Linkages Across Boundaries to Protect Nature, and (4) Old World and New World: The Relationships Between Wilderness, Human Health and Culture. Included are papers that address wildland issues on all continents, but wilderness designation, protection and restoration processes and challenges vary tremendously from North America to Europe and from Antarctica to Africa, thus sections are defined by geography and topic.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWatson, Alan; Carver, Stephen; Krenova, Zdenka; McBride, Brooke, comps. 2015. Science and stewardship to protect and sustain wilderness values: Tenth World Wilderness Congress symposium; 2013, 4-10 October, Salamanca, Spain. Proceedings RMRS-P-74. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 208 p.
Keywordswilderness, rewilding, restoration, private lands, biodiversity, conservation, protected areas, economics, community involvement, policy, stewardship, education, spiritual value
- Science and stewardship to protect and sustain wilderness values: Ninth World Wilderness Congress symposium; November 6-13, 2009; Merida, Yucatan, Mexico
- Science and stewardship to protect and sustain wilderness values: Seventh World Wilderness Congress symposium; 2001 November 2-8; Port Elizabeth, South Africa
- Personal, societal, and ecological values of wilderness: Sixth World Wilderness Congress proceedings on research, management, and allocation, Volume II
XML: View XML