Skip to Main Content
Forests of Maine, 2014Author(s): George L. McCaskill
Source: Resource Update FS-52. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 4 p.
Publication Series: Resource Update (RU)
Download Publication (437.0 KB)
DescriptionThis publication provides an overview of the forest resources in Maine based upon inventories conducted by the U.S. Forest Service, Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) program of the Northern Research Station. Information about the national and regional FIA program is available online at http://fia.fs.fed.us. Since 1999, FIA has implemented an annual inventory measuring data on 20 percent of sample plots each year. For the 2014 inventory, estimates for current variables, such as area, volume, and biomass, are based on 3,169 plots inventoried from 2010-2014. Change variables, such as net growth, removals, and mortality, are based on 3,094 samples collected in 2005-2009 and resampled in 2010-2014. There are additional tables available online (http://www.nrs.fs.fed.us/fia/data-tools/state-reports/ME/default.asp). Estimates from earlier annual and periodic inventories are shown for comparison. See Bechtold and Patterson (2005) and O'Connell et al. (2014) for definitions and technical details.
Table 2 correction: The Net Mortality column of values was corrected on May 18, 2016, along with the percentage values in the sixth paragraph of page 3 of this file.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMcCaskill, George L. 2015. Forests of Maine, 2014. Resource Update FS-52. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 4 p.
XML: View XML