The 2010 wildland-urban interface of the conterminous United StatesAuthor(s): Sebastiín Martinuzzi; Susan I. Stewart; David P. Helmers; Miranda H. Mockrin; Roger B. Hammer; Volker C. Radeloff
Source: Research Map NRS-8. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 124 p. [includes pull-out map].
Publication Series: Research Map (RMAP)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (30.75 MB)
Related Research Highlights
Maps Locate the Wildland-urban Interface Across the United States
DescriptionThe wildland-urban interface (WUI) is the area where structures and other human development meet or intermingle with undeveloped wildland, and it is where wildfires have their greatest impacts on people. Hence the WUI is important for wildfire management. This document and associated maps summarize the extent of the WUI in the conterminous United States in 2010. The maps and summary statistics are designed to inform both national policy and local land management concerning the WUI. The data presented here summarize the 2010 WUI at a national scale and for each of the 48 conterminous States. All products of this assessment—including maps, statistics, and the WUI GIS dataset—are available at http://www.nrs.fs.fed.us/data/WUI.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMartinuzzi, Sebastiín; Stewart, Susan I.; Helmers, David P.; Mockrin, Miranda H.; Hammer, Roger B.; Radeloff, Volker C. 2015. The 2010 wildland-urban interface of the conterminous United States. Research Map NRS-8. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 124 p. [includes pull-out map].
Keywordsfragmentation, housing growth, urban sprawl, urbanization, wildfire
- The wildland-urban interface in the United States.
- The wildland-urban interface in the United States
- Best management practices for creating a community wildfire protection plan
XML: View XML