Skip to Main Content
Wood Products Other Building Materials Used in New Residential Construction in the United StatesAuthor(s): David B. McKeever; Joe Elling
Source: APA - The Engineered Wood Assoc. 2015; 75 p.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
PDF: Download Publication (1.86 MB)
DescriptionOn average, new residential construction accounts for about one-third of all wood products consumed in the United States annually. During periods of robust housing activity, 45% or more of all wood products consumed are for new single-family and multifamily housing. This can fall to as low as 20% or less during times of economic recession. Unfortunately, 2012 was not an average year for new residential construction. The housing boom that occurred between 2000 and 2006 turned into a major housing recession in 2007. The recession bottomed out in 2009, with steady improvements being made since then. In 2005, at the peak of the boom, housingstarts totaled 2,086,000 units. In 2009, starts had fallen to just 554,000. By 2012, starts had rebounded to 781,000. Single-family housing starts were harder hit than multifamily housing, further affecting wood use. In 2012, 24% of all solid wood consumed domestically was for new residential construction. This difference was equivalent to a loss of about 20 billion board feet equivalents (20 x 109 bfe).
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMcKeever, David B.; Elling, Joe. 2015. Wood Products Other Building Materials Used in New Residential Construction in the United States. Tacoma, WA: APA - The Engineered Wood Assoc. 2015; 131 p.
KeywordsResidential construction, single-family construction, multifamily construction, wood products consumption, value of new construction, lumber, structural panels, nonstructural panels, engineered wood products, wood I-joists, glulam, structural composite lumber
- 2006 : Wood Products Used in New Residential Construction U.S. and Canada, with Comparisons to 1995, 1998 and 2003 : Executive Summary
- Projecting housing starts and softwood lumber consumption in the United States
- Wood products and other building materials used in new residential construction in Canada, with comparison to previous studies
XML: View XML