Skip to Main Content
Methods for the quantification of coarse woody debris and an examination of its spatial patterning: A study from the Tenderfoot Creek Experimental Forest, MTAuthor(s): Paul B. Alaback; Duncan C. Lutes
Source: Final Report INT-97083-RJVA. Missoula, MT: University of Montana, School of Forestry. 37 p.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous
Station: Intermountain Forest Experiment Station
PDF: Download Publication (1.03 MB)
DescriptionMethods for the quantification of coarse woody debris volume and the description of spatial patterning were studied in the Tenderfoot Creek Experimental Forest, Montana. The line transect method was found to be an accurate, unbiased estimator of down debris volume (> 10cm diameter) on 1/4 hectare fixed-area plots, when perpendicular lines were used. The Fischer Photo Guide (1981) for woody fuels did not quantify large down debris as precisely as the line transect method on 1/4 hectare plots. Chi-square tests found that down debris had a clumped spatial distribution in 23% of the tests. Pieces were found randomly distributed in the remaining 77% of the tests. Tests of log orientation showed evidence of clumping in 8 of 13 tests. The Paired Quadrat Variance method found no consistent scale of clumping in 24 plots of variance. Snags were found to have a clumped distribution in 37% of the tests, a random distribution in 62% of the tests and one test indicated a uniform distribution. The Variable Area Transect method accurately described snag density, however it was not successful at determining down piece density possibly because the transect width was too narrow.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationAlaback, Paul B.; Lutes, Duncan C. 1997. Methods for the quantification of coarse woody debris and an examination of its spatial patterning: A study from the Tenderfoot Creek Experimental Forest, MT. Final Report INT-97083-RJVA. Missoula, MT: University of Montana, School of Forestry. 37 p.
Keywordscoarse woody debris, Tenderfoot Creek Experimental Forest, ecology, conifer forests
- Assessment of the line transect method: an examination of the spatial patterns of down and standing dead wood
- On fixed-area plot sampling for downed coarse woody debris
- Influence of transect length and downed woody debris abundance on precision of the line-intersect sampling method
XML: View XML