Skip to Main Content
Implementation of the Forest Service Open Space Conservation Strategy in Washington State: Exploring the Role of the National Forest SystemAuthor(s): Richard J. Pringle; Lee K. Cerveny; Gordon A. Bradley
Source: Forest Science
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
View PDF (367.74 KB)
DescriptionThe loss of open space was declared one of the “four threats to the health of our nation’s forests” by former USDA Forest Service Chief Dale Bosworth in 2004. Since then, the agencywide Open Space Conservation Strategy (OSCS) was released and the “four threats” were incorporated into the agency’s National Strategic Plan. These actions indicate that the OSCS is in the implementation stage of the policy process; however, interviews conducted with line officers and program managers of the National Forest System (NFS) in Washington State revealed a more complex story. This research uses concepts from the policy implementation literature and the OSCS to explore how the NFS branch of the agency is engaging in open space conservation. The results indicate that there may be a lack of awareness of the OSCS, partners are essential to successful implementation, and the role of the NFS is a “neighbor” and “final holder” of open space. Additional findings discuss barriers to the NFS engagement in open space conservation. Where appropriate, recommendations that could improve implementation are suggested and some new resources that aid implementation are shared.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationPringle, Richard J.; Cerveny, Lee K.; Bradley, Gordon A. 2015. Implementation of the Forest Service Open Space Conservation Strategy in Washington State: Exploring the Role of the National Forest System. Forest Science. 61(2): 388-396.
Keywordsnational forest management, planning, policy, landscape
- National forests
- Quantifying the role of National Forest system lands in providing surface drinking water supply for the Southern United States
- Confronting challenges to economic analysis of biological invasions in forests
XML: View XML