Skip to Main Content
From the office to the field: Areas of tension and consensus in the implementation of the National Environmental Policy Act within the US Forest ServiceAuthor(s): Marc J. Stern; S. Andrew Predmore; Michael J. Mortimer; David N. Seesholtz
Source: Journal of Environmental Management
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
View PDF (159.09 KB)
DescriptionWe conducted an online survey (n = 3321) followed by five focus groups with Forest Service employees involved in compliance with the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) to explore agency views of how NEPA should be implemented within the agency. We filter these perceptions through the lenses of different functional groups within the agency, each with its own role in agency compliance with NEPA and its own suite of perceived accountabilities. In doing so, we uncover areas of consensus regarding valued practices as well as tensions between employees with different roles in NEPA compliance. General consensus exists regarding the importance of the effective functioning of interdisciplinary teams, but opinions about what constitutes an effective team vary. Findings suggest that NEPA serves as a playing field for competing accountabilities felt by line officers, disciplinary specialists, and advisory personnel within the agency, as each attempts to exert influence over NEPA processes and their outcomes.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationStern, Marc J.; Predmore, S. Andrew; Mortimer, Michael J.; Seesholtz, David N. 2010. From the office to the field: areas of tension and consensus in the implementation of the National Environmental Policy Act within the US Forest Service. Journal of Environmental Management. 91(6): 1350-1356.
KeywordsForest Service, National Environmental Policy Act, NEPA
- The meaning of the National Environmental Policy Act within the U.S. Forest Service
- Exploring National Environmental Policy Act processes across federal land management agencies
- Forest Service interdisciplinary teams: size, composition, and leader characteristics
XML: View XML