Skip to Main Content
Oak Regeneration: Four Years After Three Harvesting Treatments in a North Alabama Upland Hardwood StandAuthor(s): David Shostak; Michael S. Golden; Mark R. Dubois
Source: In: Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS-48. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station. pg. 383-389
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (90 KB)
DescriptionFourth year regeneration of upland oaks (Quercus spp.) was compared within three harvesting treatments in the mountains of northern Alabama. Six four-acre experimental blocks were established on north facing slopes. Each of the three harvesting treatments (deferment cutting, strip clearcutting, and block clearcutting) was randomly assigned to two treatment blocks. Major oaks present were white oak (Q. alba) northern red oak (Q. rubra), and chestnut oak (Q. prinus). Densities and stocking levels of non-sprout origin non- overtopped oak reproduction were related to treatment, topographic position, and pre- harvest competition cover. The overall contribution of the non-sprout oak regeneration was low. Post harvest germination and advance reproduction contributed equally to the successful fourth year reproduction.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationShostak, David; Golden, Michael S.; Dubois, Mark R. 2002. Oak Regeneration: Four Years After Three Harvesting Treatments in a North Alabama Upland Hardwood Stand. In: Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS-48. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station. pg. 383-389
- Oak Regeneration Following Three Cutting Treatments on Mountain Slopes in Northern Alabama
- Stump sprout dominance probabilities of five oak species in southern Indiana 20 years after clearcut harvesting
- Stem quality of oak in 15-year-old stands: influence of species within harvesting treatment and fencing
XML: View XML