Skip to Main Content
The role of remote sensing in U.S. forest inventories: Past, present and futureAuthor(s): G. Moisen; K. Brewer; R. Czaplewski; S. Healey; K. Megown; M. Finco
Source: The International Forestry Review. 16(5): 201.
Publication Series: Abstract
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
PDF: View PDF (75.87 KB)
DescriptionIn the current budget climate, the U.S. Forest Inventory and Analysis program is under increased pressure to do more with less. While reliance solely on field data under the current annual inventory system is a suitable solution when funding is adequate and stable, decreasing budgets and increasing need for timely information may necessitate solutions that can augment field data collection with remote sensing and forest projection models in a cost-effective way. There is a long, rich history of using remote sensing in forest inventory applications. As the role of remote sensing has expanded, so has the need for more flexible statistical procedures to take advantage of increasingly better ancillary data. In this paper, we document pivotal remote sensing projects in our history, and simultaneously track the evolution of statistical methods accompanying them. We highlight current studies improving statistical efficiency and information quality, and recommend viable alternatives for reducing costs in forest inventories across the continental United States.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMoisen, G.; Brewer, K.; Czaplewski, R.; Healey, S.; Megown, K.; Finco, M. 2014. The role of remote sensing in U.S. forest inventories: Past, present and future. The International Forestry Review. 16(5): 201.
Keywordsremote sensing, forest inventories, Forest Inventory and Analysis
- Multistage remote sensing: toward an annual national inventory
- Remote sensing support for national forest inventories
- Forest mensuration with remote sensing: A retrospective and a vision for the future
XML: View XML