Skip to Main Content
Full-Scale Experimental Verification of Soft-Story-Only Retrofits of Wood-Frame Buildings using Hybrid TestingAuthor(s): Elaina Jennings; John W. van de Lindt; Ershad Ziaei; Pouria Bahmani; Sangki Park; Xiaoyun Shao; Weichiang Pang; Douglas Rammer; Gary Mochizuki; Mikhail Gershfeld
Source: Journal of Earthquake Engineering
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
Download Publication (1.04 MB)
DescriptionThe FEMA P-807 Guidelines were developed for retrofitting soft-story wood-frame buildings based on existing data, and the method had not been verified through full-scale experimental testing. This article presents two different retrofit designs based directly on the FEMA P-807 Guidelines that were examined at several different seismic intensity levels. The effects of the retrofits on damage to the upper stories were investigated. The results from the hybrid testing verify that designs following the FEMA P-807 Guidelines meet specified performance levels and appear to successfully prevent collapse at significantly higher seismic intensity levels well beyond for which they were designed. Based on the test results presented in this article, it is recommended that the soft-story-only retrofit procedure can be followed when financial or other constraints limit the retrofit from bringing the soft-story building up to current code or applying performance-based procedures.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationJennings, Elaina; van de Lindt, John W.; Ziaei, Ershad; Bahmani, Pouria; Park, Sangki; Shao, Xiaoyun; Pang, Weichiang; Rammer, Douglas; Mochizuki, Gary; Gershfeld, Mikhail. 2015. Full-Scale Experimental Verification of Soft-Story-Only Retrofits of Wood-Frame Buildings using Hybrid Testing. Journal of Earthquake Engineering. 19(3): 410-430.
KeywordsSoft-Story, Wood-Frame, Full-Scale Test, Retrofit, FEMA P-807, Hybrid Testing
- Mass timber rocking panel retrofit of a four-story soft-story building with full-scale shake table validation
- Full-scale Dynamic Testing of Soft-Story Retrofitted and Un-Retrofitted Woodframe Buildings
- Seismic Risk Reduction for Soft-Story Wood-Frame Buildings: Test Results and Retrofit Recommendations from the Nees-Soft Project
XML: View XML