Skip to Main Content
Perspectives from the Aldo Leopold Wilderness Research Institute: The Wildland Research instituteAuthor(s): J. M. Bowker; H. Ken Cordell; Neelam C. Poudyal
Source: International Journal of Wilderness. 20(2): 34-35.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
PDF: View PDF (96.95 KB)
DescriptionThe Wildland Research Institute (WRi) at the University of Leeds (UK) came into being in October 2009. Its origins go back to a United Kingdom research councilfunded seminar series called Wilderness Britain? which ran between 1998 and 2000 and was coordinated from the University of Leeds. This opened up the wider debate on wilderness and rewilding in the UK and later joined with others to form the Wildland Network with support from the British Association of Nature Conservationists (BANC). The Wildland Network took the debate forward with a focus on the wildland and rewilding movement in Britain. It was at the Wilderness Britain? seminar series that Steve Carver (WRi) and Alan Watson of the Aldo Leopold Wilderness Research Institute (ALWRI) first met, initiating a long series of collaborations between WRi and ALWRI and cemented by a firm friendship and common interest in wilderness, wildness, and motorcycles.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationCarver, Steve; Fisher, Mark; Parfitt, Alison. 2014. Perspectives from the Aldo Leopold Wilderness Research Institute: The Wildland Research institute. International Journal of Wilderness. 20(2): 34-35.
KeywordsWildland Research Institute (WRi), Wildland Network, British Association of Nature Conservationists (BANC)
- Social and institutional influences on wilderness fire stewardship
- Science and stewardship to protect and sustain wilderness values: Tenth World Wilderness Congress symposium; 2013, 4-10 October, Salamanca, Spain
- The Aldo Leopold Wilderness Research Institute: a national wilderness research program in support of wilderness management
XML: View XML