Skip to Main Content
Sowing the seeds of forest conservation: Fred Besley and the Maryland Story, 1906-1923Author(s): J. Morgan Grove; Geoffrey L. Buckley
Source: Maryland Historical Magazine. 96(3): 303-327.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (3.02 MB)
DescriptionDuring the first decade of the twentieth century, Maryland began in earnest to deal with a problem that government officials and conservationists were increasingly coming to view as a serious one. For more than 250 years, changes brought about by settlement, agricultural expansion, and industrialization had reduced forest cover across the state dramatically, altering forest composition and depleting the supply of important commercial species. In 1906 the State Board of Forestry was established and Fred Wilson Besley-an early graduate of the Yale School of Forestry and a protege of Gifford Pinchot's-was appointed Maryland's first state forester. Over the next few decades, Besley and his staff worked assiduously to introduce professional forestry to the state, to establish a system of multi-purpose forest reserves, and to educate the general public, especially the private landowner, on the benefits of conservative forest management.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationGrove, J. Morgan; Buckley, Geoffrey L. 2001. Sowing the seeds of forest conservation: Fred Besley and the Maryland Story, 1906-1923. Maryland Historical Magazine. 96(3): 303-327.
- Forest Health Monitoring in Maryland 1996-1999
- The forest resources of Maryland
- Activities of the Alabama Consortium on forestry education and research, 1993-1999
XML: View XML